Assisted Living Facilities In Arkansas
Sometimes we need a little extra help as we age, and that’s when assisted living (AL) communities are here to help. These homes assist seniors with activities of daily living (ADL), covering necessary skills like cooking food, managing medications, and maintaining personal hygiene.
Assisted living is best for loved ones who don’t require the 24/7 medical care and monitoring provided at nursing homes, but who just need some additional help with everyday tasks. AL offers seniors the opportunity to live as independently as possible in a comfortable space where additional help is always nearby.
In an AL community, your family member can enjoy the privacy and comfort of their own apartment or room, while also being able to socialize, dine, and participate in a variety of fun activities.
Below, we’ll be answering some frequently asked questions about Arkansas assisted living facilities, such as:
- the specific services offered by assisted living homes
- the price of living in assisted senior living
- how many seniors currently live in an assisted living facility
- when it’s time for assisted living
What is Assisted Living?
When your loved one moves into an AL community, they’ll receive exceptional care associated with their activities of daily living. Some of these senior services include:
- Personal hygiene: Assisted living facilities often help seniors with daily hygiene activities, from bathing and dental care to hair grooming and nail trimming. Some communities even have on-site barbershops and salons to keep residents freshly styled.
- Mobility: If it’s hard for your loved one to move around on their own (i.e. require a walker, driving assistance, etc.), the caregivers at an AL home can help.
- Meals: Your loved one can expect three home-cooked, healthy meals each day.
- Medical treatment: Depending on your senior’s condition, AL staff may help them schedule appointments, supervise oxygen levels, and manage and administer medications.
You can rest assured that your senior will be in a friendly and secure environment that will make for a smooth, peaceful transition for both of you. There’s no need to worry about their well-being, as compassionate caregivers are always on-call.
What Services Are Included in Arkansas Assisted Living Facilities?
Although some may vary depending upon the specific facility, you can typically find the following types of senior care services at an Arkansas assisted living home:
- three meals per day served in various dining rooms
- housekeeping and laundry
- medical monitoring
- personal care assistance such as bathing and dressing
- transportation to and from doctor’s appointments
- 24/7 access to nursing care
- social and recreational activities
- barbershops and salons
- trash removal
- a variety of engaging classes that appeal to different interests
- access to medical clinics, parks, shopping areas, etc.
- frequent health and wellness checks
How Many Seniors in Arkansas are in Assisted Living?
In Arkansas, there are around 100 assisted living communities, each with an average of 39 residents. That equates to an approximate total of 3,900 seniors living in an AL home.
Others live in different types of senior living homes, such as memory care facilities, nursing homes, or independent living.
The Price of Assisted Living in Arkansas
Currently, the average cost of living in an AL facility in Arkansas is $3,873 per month. Keep in mind, however, that the price can fluctuate depending on the facility’s location and if your loved one requires specialized services. You can expect to pay around $3,430 a month in the Pine Bluff area, but in Hot Springs and Little Rock, you’ll pay around $4,635.
Covering the Cost of Assisted Living in Arkansas
Are there fees associated with Arkansas assisted living?
Yes, there is often a required reservation deposit before move-in, which is usually a couple thousand dollars. Then, there’s your base fee, which is your monthly rent plus the care services fee determined by how much care your loved one requires. You may also incur other fees outside your monthly rent such as special meals, events, pet fees, WiFi, trash removal, and some utilities.
Who covers the expenses of assisted living in Arkansas?
Most assisted living costs are paid out-of-pocket; however, there are instances when certain things like meals, ADLs, and medical expenses can be paid by:
- reverse mortgages
- Aid and Attendance benefits for veterans
- long-term care insurance
Does Medicare pay for assisted living in Arkansas?
No, Medicare does not cover assisted living expenses in Arkansas, as AL communities are not considered medical facilities. However, it can still pay for other things such as medications, doctor’s appointments, medical devices, and more.
Does Medicaid cover the cost of assisted living in Arkansas?
Yes, the Arkansas Medicaid Program covers personal care services to seniors in an AL facility. These services may include:
- nonmedical help for seniors struggling to perform activities of daily living
- occasional skilled nursing care
- medication management
Residents may also apply for additional services by using the Living Choices program Medicaid waiver, which focuses on delaying nursing home placement for seniors. The income limit for single applicants is $17,131 per year and $2,000 in assets. The waiver offers the following services:
- nonmedical transportation
- recreational, social, and therapeutic activities
- case management
- intermittent skilled nursing care
- medication oversight and administration
- help with ADLs, transfers, and maintaining personal hygiene
When Is the Best Time to Move Into Assisted Living?
You and your loved one should consider assisted living if they:
- struggle to get dressed, brush their teeth, or shower
- find it hard to prepare food
- can’t drive themselves
- don’t have relatives or friends who can assist them
- have trouble with housekeeping tasks like mowing the yard or cleaning
- regularly forget their medicine
- feel lonely or secluded in their home
- have a medical condition that stops them from completing daily tasks
Discover the Perfect Arkansas Assisted Living Community for Your Loved One
Making the decision to move a loved one into an assisted living community can be difficult, but it’s worth it. Our directory is available to help you search through different options in Arkansas and find the right fit for your beloved senior.
With assisted living, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your loved one is enjoying the highest quality of life. Browse our directory to find the right fit for your loved one today.
Written by Aging with Care
©2023 Aging with Care | All Rights Reserved